Who knew you could do so many things with a sharpie? When we discovered a sharpie + a bit of rubbing alcohol had an ombre / tie dye effect, we were really excited to check it out! I'll be honest... our first try at this didn't exactly achieve the results we were hoping for. You should make sure you get a pretty decent spray bottle, as we got a travel bottle and it broke in a matter of minutes. The spray bottle is everything in this! Squirt, squirt, squirt until those lines are saturated. We will be giving these a second go here in the future.
- white table napkins
- large bottle of rubbing alcohol
- a good spray bottle
- a pack of sharpies (you'll need more than one)
- hangers or clips
- napkin rings (optional)
- nose plugs (also optional)
1. Lay out your napkins and begin to draw a thick line in sharpie around the seam. Or you can draw your own pattern. I think the outline is best to start with.
2. Using clips, attach to a hanger and hang somewhere outside.
3. Fill the spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and begin to spray the sharpie lines. You want the lines to get really saturated. You'll notice it will start to bleed.
4. Once you start getting the effect you want, leave to dry.
5. Once dry, you can spray more alcohol on the harsh sharpie lines, if any remain. Allow to dry again.
6. Throw your napkins in the laundry on warm and tumble dry.